Othello is a set text for paper 0475 IGCSE English Literature exams in 2021.
First performed in 1504, Othello continues to relate to the audience, nearly 600 years after it was written. It was one of the plays to address racial prejudice and explores sexual jealousy till the brink of absolute destruction. The Moorish General Othello marries the beautiful Desdemona who loves him dearly. Out of jealousy and hatred, Iago schemes against the happy couple and convinces Othello of Desdemona’s disloyalty, and he soons becomes victim to Iago’s evil machinations, which results in death and despair.
This play has been played onstage and adapted as movies with different settings, plots, and cultural modifications.
Sign up for this course for an in-depth study of Shakespeare’s Othello. Learn to deconstruct, analyse and answer essay-type questions with our group classes, which would be held in conjunction with exam dates.
We also offer paper marking services for this course. Having your practice papers marked will help give you a clear idea of where and how to improve. Please click here to know more.
What Will I Learn?
- Make effective notes and mind maps on the play
- Understand literary devices seen in Othello
- Explore writer’s effect through their use of devices and style
- Link ideas to the question in an insightful manner
- Mastery of core curriculum topics
- Unique question-specific strategies
- Exam techniques practiced through extensive question practice and personalised feedback
- An applied understanding and appreciation of the subject beyond the syllabus