The Edexcel GCSE Drama has been redesigned to engage students by encouraging creativity, focusing on practical work that reflects contemporary theatre practice, and developing skills that support further studies in drama and also a wide range of other subjects. This course enables a student to understand various forms of theatre relevant to the 21st century, through a range of genres that include but not limited to Historical Drama, Social Thriller/Mystery, Tragedy, Political Satire, and Romantic Comedy.
This course explores Drama for aspiring performers as well as designers. Centres that have the resources offer a choice between the two. So, you can opt for the role of either a performer or a designer. Components 1 and 2 have a choice between the same.
The design roles are:
- Costume design
- Lighting design
- Set design
- Sound design
What Will I Learn?
- Mastery of core curriculum topics
- Exam techniques practiced through extensive question practice and personalised feedback
- Apply knowledge when making, performing, and responding to drama
- Develop a range of theatrical skills and apply them to creative performances
- Contribute as an individual to a theatrical performance
- Reflect on and evaluate their own work and that of others
- Develop an awareness and understanding of the roles and processes undertaken in contemporary professional theatre practice
- The ability to understand how performance texts can be interpreted and performed